Assignment 2: Required Assignment 1—The FMLA in Practice
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) was enacted in 1993 and entitles eligible employees of employers covered under it to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specific family and medical reasons. During this leave, group health insurance coverage continues under the same terms and conditions applicable if the employees had not taken leave.
You may access the latest rules covered under the FMLA at the following Web site:
- U.S. Department of Labor. (n.d.) Wage and Hour Division (WHD): Family Leave and Medical Act. Retrieved from http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/
In this assignment, you will analyze the FMLA policy of an organization to understand the policy’s role and importance in employee management.
Click here to access and read a portion of the employee handbook of Widgets Inc. that outlines the company’s FMLA policy statement. Analyze the handbook on the basis of FMLA guidelines. Identify a minimum of five errors or oversights that relate to the FMLA and list their solutions in a separate document.
In addition, in the same document, include answers to the following questions:
- What are three alternative methods of calculating twelve weeks of leave within a twelve-month period? Which method do you believe is the best and why?
- An employee should give as much notice as possible to his or her employer. The Department of Labor suggests a minimum notice of thirty days. What if an employee needs emergency FMLA leave? Is the employee still allowed to take FMLA leave, although he or she was unable to give the thirty-day notice?
- What are the legal ramifications if the same position is not available to an employee on his or her returning from FMLA leave?
- During an employee’s FMLA leave, Widgets Inc. downsizes and closes the department in which the employee works. What will happen to the employee? What are the legal ramifications?
- Save your final document as M3_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc and, by Wednesday, February 1, 2017, submit it to the M3: Assignment 2 RA 1 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Identified a minimum of five errors or oversights on the basis of the FMLA policy and suggested practical solutions for each.||
|Evaluated alternative methods of calculating twelve weeks of leave within a twelve-month period.||
|Explained the stand of the FMLA policy if an employee needs emergency FMLA leave without giving the thirty-day notice.||
|Explained the legal ramifications if the same position is not available to an employee on his or her returning from FMLA leave.||
|Explained the legal ramifications if a company downsizes and closes the department in which the employee works during the employee’s FMLA leave.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||