Notice that this assignment is not a discussion in which you post comments, but rather a written document to be submitted through Canvas.
We’ve seen an example of Modern Art in Marcel Duchamp’s ready-made object, called Fountain. We’ve also seen multiple examples of Pre-Impressionist and Impressionist paintings. Now, let’s have a look at an example of Modernist architecture. For that, we turn to Barcelona, Spain and the work of one of its native sons, Antoni GaudÃ.
1. Follow all of the links below to read about Antoni GaudÃ, a Spanish architect who ushered in his very own brand of Modernism, and view his works of art.
2. Then, working on your own and using your own words, answer both of the questions that follow.
Type your answers in a Word document, use font size 11 or 12, use black ink, and use an easy-to-read font style–Times New Roman, Calibri, or Arial.
- List and describe the characteristics of Catalan Art Nouveau. Do not write a paragraph or a paper. Just create a list. Use bullet points or numbers to start each item on your list.
- Write a short, clear paragraph to answer the following question: How does 3-D printing allow architects to move forward with the completion of La Sagrada Familia?
3. Finally, select four of GaudÃ’s works described in the first link and write a response according to the prompts that follow. Ensure that you write responses to all of the prompts.
Responses to each work should come to a total of at least 200 words.
Type your answers in the same Word document you created for to answer the questions to #2 above. Use font size 11 or 12, use black ink, and use an easy-to-read font style–Times New Roman, Calibri, or Arial.
- What is the name of the work you have selected?
- When was it completed?
- What are its major characteristics as described by the author of the article?
- What do you notice about the piece? How does it make you feel? Your answer should be your own subjective response to the work, not a mere repetition of what the author of the article wrote. Make sure you write your own ideas and words here.
Your posts will be graded on accuracy, completeness, and clarity.
All posts must be earnest, relevant, and respectful. Any post not meeting these standards, as deemed by the professor, will be given a failing grade.
Some Tips for Writing Well
- Even thought this is quite a short piece of writing I’m asking you to do, take in the following writing tips in order to craft well all of your assignments for this course.
- While this is a post to a discussion, avoid the mistake of thinking of it as a text message or a comment in social media. This is an assignment for a class.
- Do not wait until the day before the assignment is due to churn out a rushed response.
- Do several drafts and allow at least a night to go by between each one so that you can come back to the next revision with fresh eyes. That means completing your first draft no later than Sunday.
- Think of your writing as a piece of sculpture. You chisel away until the truth of what you mean to communicate emerges.
- When you do go back to your latest draft, pretend you’ve never read it before. With that mindset, ask yourself whether what you’ve written makes sense, carries the reader along from one point to the next in a logical way, and engages the reader with thoughtful points.
- Find the right balance between too much detail and not enough.