Project Managers are
- a.ultimately responsible for performance.
- b.a direct link to the customer.
- c.not timid.
- d.all of the above.
- Project Management is a style that places a premium on
- a.including a diverse set of talent.
- b.building relationships and including a diverse set of talent.
- c.building relationships.
- d.maintenance operations.
- A project does not include
- a.a specific objective.
- b.repetitive same or similar work.
- c.creating a new product or service.
- d.unique elements.
- As the number of small projects increase within an organization’s portfolio, what is a challenge an organization faces?
- a.Prioritizing projects
- b.Sharing resources
- c.Managing risk
- d.Measuring efficiency
- e.All of these are challenges.
- Which of the following represents the correct order of stages within the project life cycle?
- a.Planning, Defining, Executing, Closing
- b.Executing, Defining, Planning, Closing
- c.Closing, Planning, Defining, Executing
- d.Planning, Defining, Closing, Executing
- e.Defining, Planning, Executing, Closing
- Which of the following is a good example of a program?
- a.Developing a new marketing plan
- b.Taking notes each class meeting to prepare for the final
- c.Planning a wedding
- d.Developing a new residential area that includes six custom homes
- e.Planting a garden
- Corporate downsizing has increased the trend toward
- a.Outsourcing significant segments of project work.
- b.Using dedicated project teams.
- c.Shorter project lead times.
- d.Longer project lead times.
- e.Reducing the number of projects a company initiates.
- Which of the following is typically the responsibility of a project manager?
- a.Coordinating the actions of the team members
- b.Meeting schedule requirements
- c.Meeting performance specifications
- d.Meeting budget requirements
- e.All of these are typical responsibilities.
- In the ________ stage of What is a Project? project the product is delivered to the customer and resources are released from the project.
- In the ________ stage of What is a Project? you are more likely to find status reports, changes, and the creation of forecasts.
- The following are responsibilities of the governance team when managing a portfolio system EXCEPT
- a.Communicating which projects are approved.
- b.Evaluating the progress of the projects in the portfolio.
- c.Publishing the priority of every project and ensuring the process is open and free of power politics.
- d.Deciding how organizational resources are allocated among the different types of projects.
- e.Constant scanning of the external environment to determine if organizational selection criteria need to be changed.
- Which of the following terms is often used to denote a project that a powerful, high-ranking official is advocating?
- a.Political necessity
- b.Sacred cow
- c.Strategic ploy
- d.Special undertaking
- e.Pet project
- Typically, a project sponsor is key to support a project to its completion.
- a.instrumental in approving a project and key to support a project to its completion.
- b.a lower-level staff member.
- c.instrumental in approving a project.
- One who endorses and lends political support for the completion of a specific project is known as the
- a.Project manager.
- b.CEO.Sacred cow.
- c.Project lead.
- d.Project sponsor.
- Which of the following is NOT true when managing a portfolio system?
- a.It involves monitoring and adjusting criteria to reflect the strategic focus of the organization.
- b.Within a small organization it can be managed by a small group of key employees.
- c.The qualities of a particular project are assessed within the context of existing projects.
- d.It requires input from senior management.It does not require a constant effort.
- The ________ financial model measures the current value of all cash inflows using management’s minimum desired rate of return.
- IRBARRIRSFUBARNone of these
- Which of the following would be classified as an organizational external threat?
- a.High labor costs
- b.Poor product quality
- c.Excellent employees
- d.Slowing of the economy
- e.Declining facilities
- Susie’s department is implementing many projects. She finds herself starting and stopping work on one task to go and work on another task, and then return to the work on the original task.
- a.Susie is experiencing Poor scheduling.
- b.Flexible tasking.
- d.Excess work burden.
- Which of the following problems refers to lack of understanding and consensus of organization strategy among top and middle-level managers? This also can result when top management formulates strategy and leaves implementation to functional managers.
- a.Employee turnover
- c.Organization politics
- d.Resource conflicts
- e.Implementation gap
- Which of the following is true of multiweighted scoring models?
- a.Will include quantitative criteria
- b.Projects with higher scores are considered more desirable.
- c.Will include qualitative criteria
- d.Each criterion is assigned a weight.
- e.All of these are true.
- Bill is working on a project involving the upgrading of a management information system. The project is being managed by the information systems department with the coordination of other departments occurring through normal channels. He is working in a ________ organization.
- a.Balanced matrix
- b.Weak matrix
- d.Strong matrix
- Who is responsible for determining how tasks will be done in a weak matrix project management structure?
- a.There is no rule established for who takes responsibility.
- b.This is negotiated
- c.Both the functional manager and the project manager are responsible
- d.The project manager
- e.The functional manager
- A project team that operates with a full-time project manager as a separate unit from the rest of the organization is structured using ________ organization.
- b.Weak matrix
- c.Balanced matrix
- d.Strong matrix
- How does someone learn more about an organization’s culture?
- a.Study the physical characteristics of the organization
- b.Read about the organization
- c.Interpret stories about the organization
- d.Observe how people interact within the organization
- e.All of these are examples of how someone can learn more about an organization’s culture.
- Which of the following is NOT true regarding organizing projects within a matrix arrangement?
- a.It is designed to optimally utilize resources by having individuals work on multiple projects as well as being capable of performing normal functional duties.
- b.There are usually two chains of command.
- c.It is a hybrid form of organization that combines characteristics of both dedicated project teams and functional organization.
- d.Its flexibility supports a strong project focus that helps alleviate stress among project team members.
- e.Provides a dual focus between functional/technical expertise and project requirements that are missing in either the project team or the functional approach.
- In which of the following is the balance of authority strongly in favor of the functional managers?
- a.Weak matrix
- b.Balanced matrix
- c.Neutral matrix
- d.Strong matrix
- At the project level, which of the following is a factor that should influence the choice of project management structure?
- a.Budget and time constraints
- b.The size of the project
- c.The novelty of the project
- d.The strategic importance of the project
- e.All of these are factors that should influence the choice of project management structure.
- Which of the following is an advantage of a functional project management organization?
- a.Strong motivation of project team members
- b.Maximum flexibility in the use of staff
- c.Good integration across functional units
- d.Shorter project duration
- e.Longer project duration