Numerous controversial treatments are promoted for individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Almost all behavior analysts agree that these treatments lack sufficient empirical support. These treatments include facilitated communication, sensory integration, hyperbaric oxygen chambers, elimination diets, chelation therapy, floortime, and more. Conduct a Web search for information on either facilitated communication or sensory integration (or treatment for sensory integration disorder). Also research the treatment in the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis or other professional applied behavior analysis (ABA) journals.
- Identify at least one pro statement that supports the use of the treatment. These may come from “experts,” therapists, parents, or others. Also, identify at least one con statement that opposes or refutes the treatment.
- Summarize these statements and evaluate your findings. Discuss at least three relevant elements of the code that you have learned in this course thus far.
- In your conclusion, explain how you would discuss the importance of using evidence-based strategies with colleagues and the families with whom you work
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines.
- Resources: At least 2â€“4 recent scholarly resources.
- Length: 3â€“4 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and a references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
Materials that can help with the assignment:
- Chapter 6, “Responsible Conduct of Behavior Analysts (Code 1.0),” pages 57â€“79.
Use your Practical Ethics for Effective Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder textbook to read the following:
- Chapter 6, “Interdisciplinary Collaboration.”
Use the Capella Library and the Internet to read the following:
- O’Leary, P. N., Miller, M. M., Olive, M. L., & Kelly, A. N. (2015). Blurred lines: Ethical implications of social media for behavior analysts. Behavior Analysis Practice, 10(1),45â€“51.
- Review Element 1 of the BACB Professional and Ethical Compliance Code for Behavior Analysts [PDF].
- Use your Ethics for Behavior Analysts textbook to read the following: