Write a five-page examination of how the United States emerged as a nation-state.
This assessment allows you to demonstrate your understanding of ideas and events that form the foundation of the United States.
Competency 1: Explain how America emerged into a nation-state.By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Discuss how America evolved as a nation-state after the War of 1812.
- Explain why, from the Whig point of view, the development of the United States as a nation was relatively free of problems except for the Civil War.
- Discuss radical points of view on America’s lack of development.
- Explain the role of Thomas Jefferson as President in developing the American nation.
- Describe the role of Andrew Jackson in developing the American nation.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Keene, J. D., Cornell, S. T., & O’Donnell, E. T. (2013). Visions of America: A history of the United States (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Chapter 7, “Jeffersonian America: An Expanding Empire of Liberty, 1800–1824.”
- Chapter 8, “Democrats and Whigs: Democracy and American Culture, 1820–1840.”
- Whaples, R. (2014). Were Andrew Jackson’s policies “good for the economy”? The Independent Review, 18(4), 545–558.
- Schwarz, M. (2013). The origins of Jeffersonian nationalism: Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and the sovereignty question in the Anglo-American commercial dispute of the 1780s. Journal Of Southern History, 79(3), 569–592.
- Brogdon, M. S. (2011). Defending the union: Andrew Jackson’s nullification proclamation and American federalism. Review of Politics, 73(2), 245–273.
Discuss how America emerged as a nation-state. Address the following in your examination:
- Discuss the important milestones in America’s evolution into a nation-state after the War of 1812. Why were they significant?
- Describe why, from the Whig point of view, the development of United States as a nation was relatively free of problems except for the Civil War.
- Discuss how, from the view point of radicals, the United States never fully developed because it was distracted by circumstances (that is, industrialization, racism, urban blight, and foreign misadventures).
- Describe the legacy of Thomas Jefferson in the areas of foreign policy, national expansion, and banking at the national level.
- Describe the actions of Andrew Jackson in the areas of national expansion and banking at the national level.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Minimum of one peer-reviewed resource.
- Length of paper: Five typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.