Discussion 1- A facility layout should provide an logical relationship between raw material, equipment, manpower and product flows at minimal cost under maintaining a safe and comfortable environment. An efficient and effective facility layout will provide the following objectives:
- To provide optimum space to organize equipment and facilitate movement of goods and to create safe and comfortable work environment.
- To promote order in production towards a single objective
- To reduce movement of workers, raw material and equipment
- To promote safety of plant as well as its workers
- To facilitate extension or change in the layout to accommodate new product line or technology upgradation
- To increase production capacity of the organization
With respect to a current or previous employer, how well did the layout of their facilities achieve these objectives?
Discussion 2-Production planning is the systematic and strategic design of production processes that can produce products and deliver services quickly, precisely, and efficiency that achieve a set of common objectives. The principle objective of this process is to stay competitive.
A successful process design has to take into account the appropriateness of the process to overall organization objective. Process design requires a broad view of the whole organization and should not have a myopic outlook. And the process should deliver customer value with constant involvement of the management at various stages.
In order to achieve a good process design, effective process strategy is required, which deals with a singular line items required to manufacture the end product. Effective process strategy deals with raw material procurement, customer participation, technology investment, etc.
- What product or service offerings does the industry you desire to work in provide the marketplace?
- What type of processes are most frequently utilized?
- How would you control the production process to assure a positive response from customers?
- What degree of flexibility is demanded of these process by their marketplace?