After reading “Safe Spaces, Brave Spaces”, by John Palfrey, consider the questions listed below. After making notes on each of the questions, write your answers up into an analysis paragraph explaining how Palfrey upholds and aligns with the concept of academic argument. Be sure to include specific examples from the text and at least one quote or paraphrase from Palfrey’s argument. Include an MLA style citation at the end of your submission.
- What are the most important features of academic writing Palfrey employs?
- What other features does he use?
- How is the piece organized?
- What sort of tone does Palfrey use?
- Palfrey also uses many elements of the Toulmin model of argument. For extra credit, write an additional paragraph that identifies what elements of the Toulmin model are clearly present in his article and which are missing (claim, qualifiers, reasons, warrants, backing, evidence, conditions of rebuttal, responses to rebuttal). If there are elements of the toulmin model missing from his article, speculate as to why they may be absent.